Harlequin Junior Coach’s and Managers,
In the attached file is a practice layout provided in a writable format. This layout is how Senior Men’s Coach and Brantford Harlequins Director of Rugby Dave Neil runs his practices. Under the corresponding titles I have provided you with some examples.
- Warm Up – team warm up (game of touch or another game to loosen up and get the hands warm), light fitness, stretching, and discuss an overview of practice.
- Individual Skill Evolutions – positional play, scrum machine, line outs.
- Team Oriented Skill Evolutions – full team drills, complete forward pack working together, complete back line working together.
- Discussion/ Skill Set of Previous Game/ and or Practice – Talk about pro’s and con’s of previous game or practice, could add some drills in to work on any aspect of the game that needs improvements.
- Prepare for Future Fixtures – Shadow, structural play, game simulations.
- Conclusion of Practice – Fitness (make it fun and enjoyable, a game of soccer, ultimate Frisbee, push ball), speed and agility.
I hope you can use this template or create your own template to have the most efficient practice possible. Another reason why this layout is effective is if the coach is away. The layout can be emailed to the manager or another parent or team captain to assist with practice.
Good luck in the fast approaching season!
Yours in Rugby
Vice President Brantford Harlequins